Like years past, when it comes to the holidays, I try very hard to not let it stress me out. I don’t tend to sweat the small stuff and I work very hard to remind myself that regardless of what I do or don’t do, the day is going to come and go and I should just enjoy the journey. And mostly, this really works for me.
This year though I have a lot of work stress. And it’s not bad, it’s just a lot. Thankfully I really love my job. This goes a long way to making the amount of stress I feel be a lot more bearable. But, all the same, I am currently counting down the next 36 hours. By Tuesday morning my deadline date will have come and gone and then it will really feel like a holiday – even though I am working over most of the holidays.
As 2013 is coming to an end I have been thinking about all that has happened this year and it has filled with me great happiness.
- I have had an amazing year with my company. I have traveled from East to West to North with my work. I have been to the top of CN Tower, feasted on sea food from the Bay of Fundy and gotten wet from the spray of Niagara Falls because of my job and for that I feel blessed.
- I have received a promotion with a raise and a bonus. It always feels good to be recognised for your hard work from your peers.
- We have eliminated a large portion of our debt and that sort of feels like dropping a ton of weight.
- My daughters have grown into even more amazing people who make me laugh and bring me so much joy it feels like I could burst at the seams.
- My husband and I have spoken of renewing our vows. We have come a long way in 11, almost 12 years of marriage and we need to celebrate that!
- My bonus daughter sparked like a princess at her high school graduation this year. She has started college and is growing into a beautiful, talented young women who I am very proud of.
- We gathered with my in-laws this year – everyone all together, the first time in too long. It was a wonderful trip that I really hope becomes an annual adventure.
- We went tubing and roller-coastering and biking and boating and skiing and fishing and camping. We laughed and played and fought and cried and made up. We all grew a lot of the last year.
- We finally gave into the extreme allergies and have gotten rid of our cat. My husband and his lungs really appreciate the sacrifice we have made by finding a new home for our Cook.
- We have enjoyed the finished parts of our basement. Me most of all! A bathroom all my own is a decadent luxury that makes me very happy every morning. There really is something to be said for having a bit of space all your own.
- The pool table, which has been a bit of a thorn in my side for many years has finally become a focal point of family game night. Everyone likes to play a game of pool and I am pretty sure in a couple of years I will have 2 beautiful girls who will be able to shark anyone they meet!
I am pretty excited for what 2014 will bring our way. I am looking forward to my 20 year high-school reunion this summer. The 10 year reunion was a blast. I am looking forward to holidays with my family and maybe celebrating my cousins wedding with palm trees swaying. Steve and I will celebrate a dozen years of marriage and our daughters will turn 9 and 8 and 19! I will be 38 and Steve will be counting down to 40 in 2015! The years are coming faster for sure. Maybe it’s good that I am starting to slow down a bit. Gives me a chance to absorb all the magic in our lives. I know that 2014 will be memorable and magical and I am going to enjoy the ride, whichever way it takes me.